A sentence that has one independent and one dependent clause is called a complex sentence.
When these two types of clauses are joined together form a complex sentence. For connecting the dependent and independent clauses subordinating conjunctions are used like while, after, or since.
Example sentences of the complex sentence:
- Whenever the price goes up, the customer buys fewer products.
- The park was very beautiful, as I expected.
- Evergreen trees are the symbol of fertility because they do not die in the winter.
- I washed the car. After I came home.
- Ali played football after Sara watched a movie.
- Although Sara reads novels, Ali reads magazines.
- I love this class because I like to study Pakistan studies.
- When the rain stopped, we went back out to play.
So all these above sentences, are complex sentences.
An independent clause is the type of clause that acts as a sentence if used alone. It expresses a complete thought. It has a subject and a verb.
Example sentences of an independent clause:
- The moon revolves around the earth.
- Honesty is the best policy.
- Ali plays cricket.
- I like cats.
- Sara went to the park.
- The secret of life is health.
- She is a wise lady.
- She likes him.
- Ali is an honest man.
So all these above sentences, are independent clauses.
A dependent clause is the type of clause. It doesn’t act as a sentence. For a complete meaningful sentence dependent clause must be combined with one or more independent clauses.
Examples of dependent clause sentences:
- When Sara comes to town, we all have a good time.
- Liza learned mathematics perfectly because she studied very hard.
- Sara and Ali enjoyed the theater; however, Liza did not.
- I forgot where I put the door keys.
So in the above sentences, all the underlined parts are dependent clauses.