Definition of preposition:
Here is an easy prepositions definition with examples: A preposition is a word that shows the relationship of a noun or a pronoun with the other words of the sentence. A preposition explains the relationship of the object with the other words.
- I am going to Dubai.
- The gift is inside the bag.
- Ali threw a stone into the river.
In the above sentences, the underline word creates a relation so these words are prepositions.
Example sentences of preposition:
- The girls go to school.
- She jumped over the wall.
- The glass is by the window.
- He slept under the open sky.
- Ali was late because of missing the train.
- Ali was at home
- Ali was sitting under the tree.
- He came by the school in a big hurry.
- Be careful with the glasses.
- Where are you from?
In the above sentences, all the underlined words show a relationship of a noun with the other words of a sentence. So all these underlined words are prepositions.
Prepositions List Infographic
Types of prepositions:
There are some basic types of prepositions.
- Prepositions of Position
- Preposition of time.
- Preposition of place or direction.
- Preposition of agents or things.
- Phrasal preposition.
Preposition of time:
The preposition of time is that type of preposition which shows the relationship of time with a noun or a pronoun and the other part of the sentence. There is some basic preposition of time.
Basic preposition of time:
On, it, from, to, for, since, by, before, after, till, until, ago,
- She started work at 9 am.
- The school called the meeting on 10 January.
- She has been ill since
In the above sentences, all the underline words are prepositions of time.
Preposition of place and direction:
The preposition of place and direction is a type of preposition. This shows the relationship of the place or direction of a noun or a pronoun with the other parts or other words of a sentence.
Some basic prepositions of place and direction:
Among, between, across, up, down, above, over, behind, toward, from, by, in, at, on,
- Ali is at home.
- She came from England.
- The thief broke into the house.
In the above sentences, all the underlined words show the relationship between the places of nouns with the rest part of the sentence.
Preposition of agents or things:
The preposition of agents or things is the type of preposition, that simply describes the relationship of a noun or a pronoun with the rest part of a sentence.
Some basic prepositions of agents or things:
About, with, by, for, it
- This article is about prepositions.
- She will always be here for me.
- Ali is playing with his brothers.
In the above sentences, all the underline words are prepositions of agent or thing.
The phrasal preposition is not a prepositional phrase. This is the combination of two or more two words that act as a preposition.
Some basic phrasal prepositions:
According to, in front of, on account of, instead of, on top of, out of, in reference to, because of, by means of, apart from, along with,
- He went to Dubai, along with his wife.
- He is going out of the city.
- According to the teacher, he is a brilliant student.
In the above sentences, all the underline words are phrasal prepositions.
Useful Prepositions List