Prepositions in English Grammar
Prepositions are an important part of English grammar that are used to connect nouns and pronouns with other words in a sentence. They describe the relationship between the noun or pronoun and other words in the sentence.
Here are some important things to know about prepositions in English grammar:
Definition: A preposition is a word that shows the relationship between a noun or pronoun and other words in the sentence.
Placement: Prepositions are usually placed before a noun or pronoun in the sentence.
Example: The book is on the table.
In this sentence, “on” is the preposition, and it shows the relationship between the book and the table.
Common prepositions: Some of the most common prepositions in English include: on, in, at, with, from, to, of, for, by, about, and with.
Prepositions of time: Prepositions are commonly used to indicate time. For example: at, on, in, before, after, during, etc.
Example: We will meet at the restaurant at 6 PM.
- Prepositions of place: Prepositions are also used to indicate place or location. For example: in, on, under, above, beside, etc.
Example: The cat is sleeping on the bed.
- Prepositional phrases: Prepositions are often used in prepositional phrases, which consist of the preposition, its object, and any modifiers of the object.
Example: The book on the table is mine.
In this sentence, “on the table” is the prepositional phrase, and “table” is the object of the preposition “on.”
- Common errors: Some common errors in using prepositions include: using the wrong preposition, leaving out the preposition, or using the wrong form of the preposition.
Example: I’m going to the store to buy milk.
In this sentence, “to” is the correct preposition to use with “go,” but “for” or “at” would be incorrect.
In conclusion, prepositions play a crucial role in English grammar, helping to link nouns and pronouns with other words in a sentence. By understanding the proper use of prepositions and prepositional phrases, you can improve your English writing and communication skills.
Example sentences of prepositions:
- The book is On the table.
- The computer is on the table.
- The clerk is at the seat.
- There is green paint on the door.
- Father is standing at the door.
- I’ll see you at home.
- Neha is coming into the room.
- Shama and Kamal both are in the room.
- I’ll pour some more water into the glass.
- People bathe in the river.
- We sit on the bench,
- but father sits in the arm-chair.
- Why don’t you sit at the table?
- Feed the floppy into the computer.
- He went into his house.
- The letter was sent by courier.
- Please translate this from Urdu into English.
- Don’t judge a person by his clothes.
- I filled the bottle with milk.
- The tiger was killed by the hunter.
- He stood beside his brother.
- I kept football beside hockey stick.
- Divide the sweets between Sharit and Mehmood.
- Shimla is situated amongst the mountains.
- He is a man of principles.
- There is a bridge over the Yamuna river.
- Throw the ball over the wall.
- Birds are flying over the bridge.
- Boats are under the bridge.
- Anis is standing between Raja and Danish.
- Raquib is in front of Ratique.
- Rafiqua is standing behind him.
- We are in confusion.
- The money is in my pocket.
- Fishes are in the sea.
- Who is inside?